Photography by Charlotte Van Den Berg, Catering by Frosting Barcelona, Shirel’s dress Monnalisa.
As I scroll through these images, I cannot believe that three years have flown by as a breeze on a summer afternoon, so quickly and lightly that I haven’t had a chance to grasp it all! Shirel is three, or a threenager as they like to call it nowadays:) Honestly I had no idea why anyone would use such term, but now that I am the proud yet desperate mother of a three year old girl I most certainly understand:) It is a beautiful age don’t get me wrong, she is able to express almost every emotion, every idea she has, what she does at school, who her friends are, what she wants and definitely what she DOESN’T want, oh and let’s not forget her favourite word NO which she yells loudly from the top of her lungs! Those of you who have a three year old or have had one know exactly what I am talking about!
So my tips on how to handle this phase, though let’s be honest some days are better than others, and whenever I think I’ve got my handle on the situation she just comes out with a new tantrum I have never seen or heard of before. So please take my tips lightly, but do practice patience and breathing in as deeply as possible, because yes this is the time where these little people can drive us to our utter most insanity:)
My Personal Guidelines to a Young, Wild and Three year old:
- DO NOT GIVE IN, I know you have heard this endless times, but this is the age where our children start testing our limits, as well as their own. They are trying to break free, and prove their independence and freedom of speech so to speak. I believe in letting them explore all of it, and finding their own free will, but let’s not forget they do need rules, and structure and we need to pick our fights and never ever let them get away with what we believe is not the right thing for them.
- UNDERSTAND WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR CHILD, it didn’t take me long to understand that yelling at Shirel or raising my voice, just didn’t work, it just drives her into a deeper frenzy, she is also quick at learning and imitating everything she sees and hears, so she just yells back! Which is not something I want to teach her. Therefore I have udnerstood that it is through talking and explanan the same thing every day (though some days it is inevitable and I just YELL, like any other parent does), and if that doesn’t work I practice Time Out, so she gets the point. After Time Out, I sit her down and we talk about what happened and I make sure she understands why she was in a Time Out.
- REPEAT, REPEAT, ALL DAY EVERY DAY, that is what I tell myself, I have to teach her over and over again and explain to her why she can’t only eat chocolate, chips, or candy for every meal of the day:) I have to explain to her every evening that it is important to shower, and it is important to pee before bedtime, and I mean so many things like that every day, are just a repetitive part of motherhood, but essential in teaching them and making them understand that eventhough they don’t like it, or simply want to say NO, it is what is best for them. And I have to say that the fact that she likes to snack on Brocoli while watching her favorite cartoon makes me feel like I have won a small part of the battle:)
- HEAR THEM OUT, eventhough they are little people, they have their own personality, their own thoughts, and ideas and we must listen to them and understand their way of thinking because honestly she does teach me so much about herself and myself.
- UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, in the worst moments when you think your head is about to explode, and you are about to have a meltdown just as them, pick them up and hug them, kiss them, tell them you love them and you are there for them once they decide to calm down. With Shirel it is impossible to speak any sense into her when she is having one of her meltdowns, so I do that and then I proceed to doing other things so she can calm herself down. It is important for them to learn to manager their emotions it is just part of growing up!
These are my little insights into what I learn as a mother, every day is a different story, and I don’t know how she will surprise me sometimes it’s for the best and other times it’s just terrible and I don’t know where to hide:) But it is a choice we make every day to be the best we can for our little ones who are learning to deal with life, and these unknown emotions that they have no idea how to express. All in all, I am so proud of becoming a mother of a 3 year old, and can’t wait to see how she leads her life! I hope this is somewhat helpful, and if you have any tips or comments you would like to leave please feel free, I would truly appreciate it!
As I write this post, it has been exactly a month and a week since the birth of our little angel Liel. She has brought so much light and love into our home and hearts, that I truly sound corny but it is absolutely the utter truth. It seems like she has been here forever, like I was pregnant a life time ago, and so much has happened within this past month, but I also think the sleepless nights contribute to my feelings of time expanded, since I am awake during both day and night:) Before Liel’s birth we had a staycation planned at the Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos, they invited to experience a weekend in their fabulous hotel, and to pamper me before the baby arrived. But God’s plan was different, and I went into labor the Tuesday night before that weekend, but I wasn’t about to give up on a weekend of fun for our family and we headed to the hotel two weekends ago and had a fabulous time of course:)I fell in love with the fresh new look of the hotel, those of you who follow me on Instagram and Pinterest are more than aware of my passion for design and especially interior design. I love to always show you guys my favorite spots in the city, and that of course includes hotels! So if you are planning a trip to Barcelona, this Fairmont location is HOT! It has everything from sleek bedrooms, Le Labo goodies, delicious food, pool life with one children’s pool offering fabulous Balinese beds, and a second adult pool! What more can you ask for?
As I am writing this post (two weeks too late), because babygirl Liel has been welcomed to the world:) YES I am officially a mother of two little precious and beautiful girls, and my heart couldn’t be filled with more love than it is right now. But rewind two weeks ago, Treatwell.es and OPI Nail Bar Barcelona decided to celebrate me and babygirl Liel, with a Beauty Baby Shower, filled with sweets, manis, friends and family, I felt loved and spoiled.
For those of you who have experienced pregnancy (and those of you who haven’t) you must know what emocional and sensitive times these are, so when you are surrounded by loved ones, and supportive people it means the world. Which is one of the reasons this pregnancy was so much easier, as well as the fact that I had a toddler to care for, and well my husband travels back and forth from Barcelona to DC for work, so I had zero down time as you can imagine. Which is why when one of my favorite Beauty apps like Treatwell decides to celebrate my baby and me, at O.P.I Nail Bar one of my favorite nail salons in Barcelona, I rejoyce and say YES PLEASE! We had such a fantastic time with the delicious sweets made by the talented Frosting Barcelona, and enjoyed the pampering as you can imagine. I hope you enjoy the photos, and stay tuned for more posts this week, especially the one where I introduce Liel! PS: Follow me on Instagram this weekend so you can view my staycation at the Fairmont Hotel in Barcelona:)
Wearing Massimo Dutti dress, Converse, YSL envelope bag, Celine sunglasses, Photography by Charlotte Van Den Berg.
This pregnancy I have discovered that almost every Massimo Dutti dress fits my pregnancy curves. I have also realized that as much as I love black with this heat wave and my own hot flashes I need less black, more light colors and of course a little floral magic. I am currently 36 weeks which I am still uncertain if it is 8 months or 9 months, can someone please confirm that even they were still confused about the months in pregnancy no matter how many pregnancies they’ve been through?! It truly boggles my mind:) But as you can imagine by this time I have reached my limit, it is so terrible hot in Barcelona (and all over Europe), that I cannot wait for this baby to make her entrance into the world! I also cannot share too many looks, or pregnancy styles as Id love to, because let’s face it I am so uncomfortable most of the time, but what I can definitely get my hands around and shop non stop for are accessories:)! Like this YSL envelope bag that was love at first site, and my new Celine sunglasses, they have literally become part of me, I wear them on a daily basis and they make any outfit pop! I hope you enjoy this look, and here I share a few of my dress options that are similar to this Massimo Dutti one Im wearing. Besos!
Wearing Massimo Dutti cantan, and here is a similar one you can find on Asos.com and in black, Converse, YSL envelope gold bag, similar YSL bags here and here, and Celine sunglasses. Shirel is wearing Monnalisa plise dress and Monnalisa sunglasses, with Converse. Photography by Charlotte Van Den Berg.
My pregnancy is nearing the end, and the heat is getting absolutely unbearable! But I have made a pact with myself that I will devote this one month that is left to Shirel fully and completely, because her life is going to change so much and she will learn about new emotions that she han’t experienced before. Such as love and care for her baby sister, yet she will probably feel jealousy, maybe a little fear of losing our love, which makes me so sad but I am here to remind her every minute and moment of how endless our love is for her. So this past week I chose to take her to see La Sagrada Familia because she is so crazy about Disney princess stories, and castles, I thought she would see it as this beautiful castle, and I was right she loved it and was in total awe of it, just as I am every time I see it, it never gets old and I am always as amazed as the first time. I hope you enjoy these looks of ours, as you can see my latest wardrobe is mainly Massimo Dutti dresses, they are so perfect for my pregnancy, they are comfortable, flowy, perfect for this heat and I can maintain a chic pregnancy look. For Shirel of course it goes without saying most of her wardrobe is Monnalisa I love it and so does she!